Wednesday 23 April 2014

Raw No Bake Fake Carrot Cake {Protein Bars}






I have been wanting to make carrot cake ALL week. I even bought carrots and walnuts, okay, okay I usually have those things, but STILL.

And then the long weekend came and went and nothing. And then I didn't have time...AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN.

And then, this was born:




'Carrot Cake' Protein Bars with a Cream Cheese Protein Drizzle. YUP. This is real life, y'all. I think. Don't quote me. These are raw, no-bake, gluten and sugar free, too! Wahoo! You can also make these vegan by using a vegetable-based protein powder!




Also, I could have easily made any of my other protein bars like my cranberry chocolate protein bars or almond and coconut protein bars...but...ehhhh who wants to be convenient? (b-tee-dubs, those are both delicious recipes, too!)

Fun fact? I also made this beautiful Carrot Cake with lots of protein! It's gluten, sugar and weird-stuff free as well! Find it here. 


Without further ado, please, let's talk ingredients. 




No Bake Fake Carrot Cake Protein Bars

Yields 8 Bars
Allergens: Gluten and Refined Sugar Free 

Ingredients

  • 3 large carrots, shredded
  • 1 cup oats, ground into flour (or 1 cup oat flour)
  • 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein (or SunWarrior!)  
  • 1/3 cup shredded coconut
  • 2-4 tablespoons walnuts, pieces
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • Pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger 
  • 1/3 cup honey (or agave nectar for Vegans!) 
  • 1/2 cup nut butter (I used coconut/peanut butter but walnut or cashew butter would be UNREAL)
  • Almond milk (1-2 tablespoons)

Frosting Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons cream cheese (or vegan dairy spread alternative) 
  • 1 scoop vanilla whey protein/other protein 
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
  • 2-3 packets of stevia/other sweetener 

Directions:

  1. Shred your carrots and place in a large mixing bowl
  2. Add in all other ingredients except honey and nut butter and whisk together 
  3. Melt honey and nut butter in a small saucepan until fully combined
  4. Pour hot honey mixture over dry ingredients and blend until a ball forms, adding almond milk as needed by the tablespoon
  5. Press into an 8x8 square pan lined with foil to set in the fridge or freezer for at least one hour

Frosting Directions:

  1. Cream the cream cheese until it is fluffy with a whisk or mixer
  2. Add in whey protein, stevia and melted coconut oil until you have a thick glaze
  3. Put glaze in piping bag or ziploc bag for easy drizzling (optional)





They should look like this afterwards:



Once your bars have cooled and set, chop them into 8 bars, drizzle with frosting and put in an airtight container. They do not HAVE to go in the fridge but I always put my bars in the fridge because I like them cold and firm-- ALSO the carrots make these really soft. You may want to refrigerate them. Or keep them outside and eat them with a fork like legit carrot cake!






Bursting with fresh, orange, carrot-y goodness!



Please note, these are magically delicious, soft, moist and SO full of flavour. My gosh. Not legal in many states, I swear. UGH. I never wanted to stop eating this. Not EVER.

Definitely a great alternative to ordinary carrot cake which ironically, is so calorie and sugar dense! Not that there is any problem with that, but wouldn't you rather have 'fake' carrot cake so you could eat it every day? Me too.


Enjoy responsibly and share with others, I know sharing sucks and is lame, but whatever just DO IT.

XO 

No comments:

Post a Comment